Sunday, July 24, 2011

School Memory Book


As a mom, everything my children make, color, write, or draw is perfect art.
Because I have 3 children, my art gallery is over loaded!

When Sissy started school I bought her a "school memory book" that held like...
 3 pieces of paper... Since that obviously wasn't going to work
 I decided to make one for her. All 3 kiddos have one now.

They are simple.
 I use a 2 inch binder and page protectors. That is it!
This way I can put them on a shelf with photo albums and it blends in,
plus we can look at everything it them any time we want
with out having to sort through a big box! :)

If the project is to big for the page protector,
 I take a picture of it and pass it on to a grandparent or throw it away.
 Throwing anything away from them is super hard but I
just cant keep it all and have a house too...

I use regular dividers for each grade and put a picture
from the beginning of the year on the face of the divider.
Just to watch them grow.


The first page behind the divider is a note from me. I write a simple
 letter that talks about how the year went, their friends, a story or two
of what happened during the school year...


After that page I keep 5 page protectors.
As long as everything fits in the 5 for that year, I keep it!

Here are some pictures.






This is a pretty simple post but I hope you can make something from it!

9 comments:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What an adorable DIY project! Thank you so much for sharing.

Happy Monday!

Kei said...

Such a cute idea! I bet it will be lovely to look over those in years to come! :)

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

I really LOVE this idea! I am struggling with so much art piling up & I have a big box but basically that means nothing ever gets looked at again :(

I will be doing this for my girls this year - I have one starting K & one in PreK - so there will be lots of projects & memories. Thank you so much for the idea!

Lauren Blackmon said...

I just made a school scrapbook unit because this is one of my favorite things I do in my classroom. I have volunteers that help put together a book for every kid. The parents' love this!
-Lauren
www.weeklyhive.blogspot.com

Big D and Me said...

I think that's a wonderful idea - I've got 3 kids too and we have tons of art work. I keep some but trash more - somehow my 6 year old always knows when it's in the recycling bucket - I play dumb and blame it on my husband

Tracy @ CraftJunkieToo.com said...

I found your fabulous project and blog through the linky party at Somewhat Simple!
I'd like to invite you to my weekly T.G.I.F. Linky party to share your projects -- I'm looking to grow my party with good quality projects just like this one….here is the direct link if you'd like to join us sometime - the linky is up Thursday evening - Tuesday….:)
T.G.I.F. Linky Party

Becolorful said...

You are an amazing mom. Really. Love this project but my favorite part is the letter you write to your kids. Wish I had thought to do that for my kids. This will be priceless to them in the years to come. Thanks for linking your idea to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

More Than A Mom said...

Great idea to use the clear page protectors. I am looking for ideas for saving my daughter's first year of school work.

Jenn Erickson said...

Such a wonderful idea! I especially love the hand-written letter in the beginning.