Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Make Your Own Body Wash

UPDATE: If you add glycerin will make this have more of a lotion feel but will make it cost more. If it lumps up, you can add more water and shake. ;)


As many of you know, I use to be a serious couponer. Now that is has become such a fad I have backed off and am using my stockpile up. I have a ton of bar soap and I don't like it. I think it is germy and gets yucky and dirty. Plus it leaves a mess in the bathtub.

So I decided to make some body wash up!

I didn't find much on this online so I decided to just make it happen by trial and error.

Here is my super simple recipe.
2 to 1 - Water to Soap.


You will need to gather up:

Your bar soap (2 Bars)
Cheese Grater
Large Pot
Water (2 Cups, filtered if possible)
Whisk
Jojoba Oil (Optional)
and bottle to put your finished product in.

Kick back and get to grating your soap.


Add water and whisk while on medium heat until all the soap has dissolved.
This took 4 to 5 minutes.


Set pot aside to let it begin cooling off.
Add 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil and whisk in.


When product has cooled you can funnel it into your bottle.

It will be a little frothy.

Shake well before each use, it will separate!
I used a pump bottle.
This is perfect for the kids, they know "Just one pump on the puff".
Helps save! :)


One pump is about dime size and it suds up like crazy and goes a really long way!

23 comments:

Analog Girl said...

Megan- I love this thrifty idea! I also dislike soap bars for the same reason, but now I will be able to make my own body wash. Awesome!

Ashlee said...

Oh this is great! What a way to use what you have!!

TV's Take said...

Wow, kuddos for trying it on your own and it turned out. I'm just not that creative. You've got a gift!

ginger @ literally inspired said...

I agree soap is so gross! It is such a mess and it always leaves that film. I will totally have to try this out!

Marissa said...

what a fabulous idea :) GENIUS!!!

kaley said...

ohhh love! i'm going to try this out! i kept seeing it all over pinterest this morning, little did i know one of my favorite bloggers was the originator! ;)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This sounds great! Thanks for sharing! ♥

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

I love this!! Totally something I would make! Love your nail polish ;)

Jessica @ O. Alouette said...

What an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

Heather said...

Thanks for your comment on my cookies.=) You have some awesome ideas on here! Love body wash! http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com/

raising4princesses said...

that'a amazing! Thanks so much for telling us about this. http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

Megan @ Cut the Craft! said...

This is awesome! I use body wash like it's going out of style, so this will be great for me.:)

Megan
www.CutTheCraft.com

Heather @ Localfunforkids said...

This sounds pretty easy. I found you on TJ and wanted to stop by to say Hello : )

petite hermine said...

This is a great tutorial! I'm going to have to give this a try :)

Jenn Erickson said...

Wow! I love that you were able to figure this out on your own and that it yielded such perfect results! I love it! I'm featuring your post on this week's "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

Jenn

Justins Mommy said...

what a great idea! i'm going to have to try this.

Camilla said...

Fabulous! Visiting from "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Bar soap has been banned in my house for a long time. Since my husband cleans the bathroom, I have to abide by it. Now I can make some body wash with the soaps I've been given and can't use. ;)

Toqua's Crafts said...

I'm visiting from "A Little Birdie Told Me..."
I would have NEVER thought about making bar soap into liquid soap! What a fantastic idea!

Jessy@FairytaleFrosting said...

LOVE this! I recently started making my own laundry soap and other cleaning products. My boyfriend just asked me the other day if I would consider making him body wash. Then I stumbled upon this! Yay!! Thank you!
One question though, about how much does this recipe make?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I just made this using two of the smaller Zest bars ($1.00 @ Dollar Tree). I added 1T of glycerin also. It turned out with a nice consistency and does it smell like HEAVEN! Thanks so much for the idea..I love the scent of Zest in a bar, but don't think their body wash smells anything like the bar scent. This is great and so inexpensive to make!!!!!

Helen B. @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Love how you are using a pump bottle!! I need to do that for my own body wash!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
Exercise Encouragement Group blog

Anonymous said...

I discovered your blog site on google and test a few of your early posts.
Continue to keep up the excellent operate. I simply additional up your RSS feed
to my MSN Information Reader.

Searching for forward to studying more from you
in a while!…
My web site :: http://www.bcnin.com/blog/item/141-how-to-choose-your-cava-this-christmas.html

Anonymous said...

Excellent web site. A lot of helpful info here.
I am sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you in your effort!
Also see my site: www.poaps.com