Sunday, July 24, 2011

Breakfast Smoothies

We have touched on smoothies a few times before.
Today the kids are telling their favorites!

Smoothies are a huge hit for breakfast at this house.
The kids an customize them as we go and they are super quick.
Smoothies are 100% Mommy approved because I can
 pack them full of goodness before they head out the door for school!

Here are the family top picks:



Strawberry Banana

1 cup cold water
1/2 banana
4 strawberries (Frozen are great)
1/4 cup low- fat greek yogurt
Handful of spinach
1 scoop chia seeds

Photo from Google images.
 I deleted the memory card before I saved the picture of this smoothie. :(

Tropical

1 cup cold orange or pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 cup low- fat greek yogurt
1 handful of spinach
1 scoop chia seeds


Lemonberry

1 cup cold water
1/2 cup blueberries (frozen are great)
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup low- fat greek yogurt
1 handful of spinach
1 scoop chia seeds

I will give the kids peanut butter toast with smoothies for breakfast. That is their favorite.

Sometimes I will hold the yogurt out of the smoothie and put it on the side with granola.


Smoothie Tips
If you need something to sweeten your smoothie up, try using apple juice rather than water.

If your kids are having trouble with the taste of veggies that you put in smoothies, try adding 1/2 -1 banana. It helps with texture and taste.

I buy organic fresh baby spinach  in a HUGE package. I go home and immediately put it in a freezer bag and stick it in the freezer. As long as it is dry you can pull it out leaf by leaf when it is frozen. I put frozen spinach and berries in my smoothies to make it colder because I don't like ice in my smoothies.

Why Chia Seeds

I have been asked about chia seeds a lot on Mommy Minded. I use chia seeds because the help regulate blood sugar, hydrate, reduce blood pressure, and are loaded with omega 3.

When you add chia seeds to your smoothies it will need to set for about 5-10 minutes. The seeds will create a gel and you will want to stir your smoothie before drinking it.

My kids and I are use to the texture because we have been using them for so long but I don't remember it ever bothering anyone. They don't have a noticeable taste to any of us.

Photo from Google images.
 I deleted the memory card before I saved the picture of this smoothie. :(

18 comments:

meg + andy said...

great post! i'm so happy to have some smoothie inspiration. I especially love the spinach tip- SO smart! yay, can't wait to make some tomorrow! :)

Poppy said...

Yumm,I'm loving all these smoothie recipes and such a healthy way to serve breakfast as well.... thanks for sharing and all your helpful tips, especially the chia seeds.... got to try that. Visiting from Motivated Monday. Have a nice day!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

TV's Take said...

We love smoothies! Thanks for sharing all these great recipes. I'll have to look for those chia seeds. Happy Monday

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

I love smoothies, eat them every morning, and look forward to trying these! I hope you will share this project at my HomeMade Monday Blog Party next week (HomeSavvyAtoZ.com). I am your newest follower!

Ashlee said...

This might actually get me to eat spinach! Great recipes! :)

Michelle said...

I need to have smoothies for breakfast again, sounds like a great idea- especially in the summer! Thanks! I am visiting from C.R.A.F.T. and I am a new follower! Hope you have a great day and I look forward to seeing you around soon!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those are perfect for breakfast! I really want to try chia seeds since I keep hearing more about how great they are. I host a recipe swap every week and I'd love for you to come by and show off a recipe or two. Have a blessed day :)
Katie

Wendy said...

Mmmm.... my kids would love every single one of these!

Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

Interesting. The recipes sound good, but I'm most excited about the frozen spinach leaves tip. Thanks!

Bella@Bellabeforeandafter.blogspot.com said...

Sounds delish, and although I've never had chia seeds before, my hubby mentioned them to me, and I forgot to get them, thanks for reminding me, and sharing a way to get my kids to enjoy them too.

I'd LOVE to invite you to check out my weekly parties. I would be so happy if you linked up, this and any other fabulous project you are working on.
Stop by anytime to say hello!!!
Hugs, Bella :)
**AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After Any projects, recipes, diy welcome.
**PARTY PLANNING TUESDAYS** @ Euro Style Cakes. All your party planning tips, decorations, invitations, and recipes welcome at my NEW party.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

So yummy!

Becolorful said...

oh yum. what a fun alternative to my boring breakfast. Love that you linked this to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

Jenn Erickson said...

Your smoothies sound wonderful! Where do you find Chia seeds?

Jenn

Blenderized diet said...

I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really enjoyed reading your blog post here. It was very informative and I also digg the way you write! Keep it up and I’ll be back to read more soon mate.

MrsFoxsSweets said...

I found this from Rook #17! I just got a smoothie maker and havent used it yet. None of the recipes in the book appeal, but I love your recipes and have pinned so forgetful me doesnt forget! I do have a couple questions. I have frozen bananas and frozen strawberries, can they be used frozen or should I thaw them before using?

Jamie Hammond said...

Yummy!! I love smoothies (most of them anyways). I'm your newest follower. I would love you to stop by Monday and link this up to More the Merrier Monday
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

Jenn Erickson said...

Thank you so much for being a part of the creative spirit and camaraderie on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17. I hope you'll feel inspired to join in again this week!

Warmest wishes,
Jenn

Debbie said...

I'm always looking for new smoothie recipes and you have some great ones on here! I found you through This Chick Cooks Best Recipe Wednesdays. You have a great blog. I look forward to following you! Debbie from www.life-is-sweets.com