Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Back to School Lunch Ideas

Back to School Post #

I like to make sure that the kids have different options for lunches.

Last year we did kabobs, bento boxes, subs, quesadillas, wraps, and so much more.
Here are the kids top "special lunch" picks from last year.

"Special lunches" are things that are not super duper healthy
so they only get them once in a while. Hints: Special. :)



Mom's Lunchable

So many of the kids at school eat a lunch ale EVERYDAY. My kids started asking for them and I am not a fan so I made my own at home. We did these about once a week.

I used an apple corer to cut out lunch meat.
You really have to buy the "round stuff" for this to work.

Then I slice a string cheese into circles.
Put them all onto a skewer and serve with crackers!


I always sent mine with yogurt and fruit salad.


Pinwheels

Take one crescent square and rol out to seal the cut down the middle.


Put a thin layer of your favorite meat and cheese, roll it up, cut into 1/2 inch circles.

The kids like ham and swiss, hubby likes roast beef and gouda...
 you can really play around with this.


Bake on 350 for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
They will look like this.
Serve with veggies and yogurt dip!


Hotdogs

I think that we all have made mummy dogs for Halloween and the kids love them!
I use turkey dogs and crescents.

Roll one crescent triangle around one dog.
Done.


Bake on 350 for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with cheese stick and favorite fruit!


Pizza!

Can biscut dough, tomato based sauce, and the kids favorite pizza toppings.

Tip: The big (Grand) biscuts work best for this. I only had small biscuts in the house.

Take one biscut and press it out until thin.


Top with sauce (I used Ragu today) and favorite pizza toppings.
Be sure to leave a good edge to fold up.

We use spinach, mozzarella, turkey, chicken, black beans,
 pineapple... the possibilities are endless.


Pinch edges together to make a "pocket".


Put into muffin tin or foil liners and bake on 350
 for 12 minutes or until golden brown.


I am so sorry I don't have an after shot!
Hubby and the kids got to them before the camera and I did!


This year the kids are asking me to add
 the corndog muffins to our "Special Lunch List".


18 comments:

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I know that you have so many blog parties to choose from so thank you for choosing Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. This amazing post added to the party blast! Enjoy the rest of the week :)

trophyw.blogspot.com said...

Great ideas. I have a kid that hates sanwhiches, but refuses to buy lunch. I'd love for you to link this to my brand new linky party. http://trophyw.blogspot.com/

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

My son is going to start packing a lunch this year. I was really considering making my own lunchables for him. Thanks for sharing how you do yours!

Lowri said...

Great ideas - I am just starting to have to do lunched so it's awesome to try something a bit different.
Thanks for sharing
Lowri
http://papervinenz.blogspot.com

Emily said...

My middle child is insanely pickey, I'm going to have to try some of these!
Emily
domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicolette @ Momnivore's Dilemma said...

Great ideas! Moose is in an afternoon PreK, and I'm dying to think of lunch ideas for him...great post! I like the pizza pocket idea...{I just need GF dough}

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday...

FrouFrouBritches said...

Fabulous ideas. My kids get so sick of sandwiches and hot dogs and I refuse to buy Lunchables! Thanks for the tips!

JamieS @ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom said...

Great lunch ideas, I especially like the lunchables on a stick!
~JamieS

Dannyelle said...

These are some great ideas, I think I'll try the ham and cheese roll-up with my kids. Thanks for sharing.
Dannyelle

Jennifer Juniper said...

Great ideas! You were #1 most clicked this week! Oh, and you made me buy Christini Perri's CD after hearing your playlist :)

Sachiko said...

What a great idea! My kids always ask me to buy lunchables, I think yours are way better. Thank you for sharing!

Recycled Rita said...

I love these ideas, I think my senior high schooler will too! thanks! karen....

Marissa said...

what great ideas...you should write a school lunch book! AMAZING! Those cresent roll-ups, my boys would love and I'm sure I could jazz 'em up to create an even healthier variety! SO YUMMY, THANKS :)

Becolorful said...

Where were you when I was still packing lunches for my kids? :) Such great ideas. Thanks for sharing on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

MessyMissy said...

Aw, thanks for the ideas. My munchkin is going to be staying at school for lunch for the first time.....sniff.....and I have been looking for some fun meals to make.

Carolyn said...

Kids lunches have always been a challenge. You've got some great ideas here. If the family got to the finished product before you did...says something about how good they tasted.

Tanya Anurag said...

You have such great ideas. Your kids are really lucky!

We have a link-up party going on - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. I would really appreciate if you'd link up some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html