Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Back to School Breakfast Ideas

My kids are always up for variety. Last year we made a daily menu plan that we will use again this year. Here is the breakfast plan.

Monday- Oatmeal
Tuesday- Eggs
Wednesday- Yogurt
Thursday- Smoothie
Friday- Cereal

Monday

On Monday the kids can have oatmeal.
Some times I will make baked oatmeal or oatmeal bars.

Here is Ninja's favorite:

He likes instant apple cinnamon with a scoop of peanut butter and 1/2 a banana.

Tuesdays

The kids love eggs but there is not enough time in the morning to make them everyday.
Some times I will make a fritatta or omelets but the kids LOVE Egg Mugs.


Fill a mug 1/2 way with liquid egg whites or egg substitute.

Pop in microwave for 1 minute.
Take out, stir, and add your favorite extras.

The kids like cheese and turkey.
I like black beans, spinach, and salsa.

Put back in microwave for 1 minute.
Enjoy.

Wednesday

Wednesday is yogurt day. I give the kids low fat vanilla yogurt and they pick the toppings.
We always have fresh and frozen fruit to choose from, granola, nuts and seeds...

Captain and Sissy like it with blueberry granola.

(Oats, wheat germ, apple sauce, chia seeds, and
 bran on top of blueberries. Pop it in the oven on 350 till it's golden brown)


Ninja goes with good ole banana and orange granola.


Thursday

The kids love smoothie day because they get to customize again.



I serve them up with toast, a muffin, or a scone.

Friday

Friday is Daddy's day off so this is kind of a free day. I call it cereal day but if Daddy wants a big breakfast, cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, or pancakes... that is what we have.

Last week we had Quinoa.

I put 1/2 cup of rinsed red quinoa with 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons agave, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, handful of crasins and walnuts, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and 1 dash of vanilla in the crock pot. Cook it on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Then I top it with lime juice. I know it doesn't sounds like it goes with the cinnamon and cranberries but it gives it a little surprise that I love!



I like mine out when you can still chew it a little. Most people call it done when it is more "clear". Sissy can eat the whole thing by herself.
 

18 comments:

Marissa said...

what great ideas! I need to use some of these for preschool this year! I love the yogurt toppings of their choice, SO FUN!!!

Our Crazy Bunch said...

Great ideas. You make me feel lazy. Everyday is cereal day at our house. I have to get on the ball this year. :) Your ideas are going to be a big help. :)

Sunny Vanilla said...

My little girl isn't old enough for this food, but I am! And even though I'm not going back to school, I still need to try these. Stopping by from Homemaker on a dime.

Carmella said...

Great ideas here! I know my daughter is going to love an Egg Mug! Sometimes it's so hard to be creative with breakfast...great idea for a meal plan! Thanks for sharing at the Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop...I was so great finding you there!

creativecarmella.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Oh I love your egg mug ideas! I need to try that out! Thanks for sharing! :)

Happy Home Fairy said...

Love all of these ideas!! What a great resource for our Happy Homes! I love quinoa! :-)

Crystal said...

Such a timely post with back to school around the corner.

I would love for your to share this post with other mom's on my weekly mommy solution meme.

http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/07/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-2/

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

I'm so honored that you chose to join the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. Thank you for adding this special masterpiece to rock my party :)

Sabrina said...

I like that a lot!!! Great idea!!!
Dropping by from Fun to Craft, I'm your newest follower :) Have a great weekend :)

Brittany said...

Great ideas, thank you!

Beth@Wiccan Make Some Too said...

Great breakfast ideas. Made me hungry for bananas & peanut butter! Following your blog now.I would love for you to show this off at my Wickedly Crafty Saturdays! http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/2011/07/wickedly-crafty-saturdays.html

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those are some yummy breakfast ideas! Thanks for coming by to share them. I hope you'll stop by again for the recipe swap this coming Wednesday.

Jenn Erickson said...

I'm so happy that you shared this post on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." last week! This week is Back-to-School week at Rook No. 17, so I'm featuring your post at tomorrow's party!

Jenn

Trisha said...

I love the egg mugs, neat idea! Visiting from Rook No.17!

Krissy @ B.Inspired said...

I wish my kids weren't so picky and would eat that well. Great ideas!

Eddel29 said...

this post is really perfect! perfect for my whole family for the whole week. thanks for sharing this awesome ideas. :)

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

Love this. A few months ago, I challenged myself to break my family out of the cereal rut. I've had a bunch of breakfast ideas which I've been implementing but it gets a little overwhelming. I love the idea of a "plan" for each day of the week... I think that I'll be implementing this change! I also plan to share this idea as part of my "31 Days to Teacher Your Kids to Be 'Good Eaters' Challenge" Thanks for sharing your great idea!

HI THERE! said...

What fabulous breakfast ideas. We are usually either cereal or toast around here. I think I need to change things up around here! Pinned this!
Jenn :)