Monday, May 16, 2011

DIY Laundry Detergent. My Favorite.

I have been experimenting with homemade detergents for a while now and I have finally mixed and matched enough to find one that I love.

I do like the liquid homemade detergents but they tend to separate and you have to mix them or shake them before adding to the laundry. Since I always made them in HUGE batches, it was hard to do. So I got to looking at powder recipes and found a few that I liked, mixed them up, and made one that I love.

Here is my favorite recipe and all time favorite scent!


I use:
Borax
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
Zote
Fels-Naptha
Purex Crystal Softener


First you need to...

make a fantastic smoothie, turn on your favorite show, kick back...
and get to grating your bar soaps. This can be very therapeutic. :)

In large bowl, combine:
1/2 cup grated Zote
1/2 cup grated Fels-Naptha (Love the smell here)
1 cup Borax
1 cup A&H Washing Soda
1 cup Purex Crystals
(I use the Lavender Blossom. This with the Fels-Namtha makes a fantastic smell to me!)


I take an extra step and pop it into the food proccessor.
This makes it a little more fine.

I actually do this recipe X4...
 I dont have to make laundry detergent very often because it makes this much: 
Wow!

I love using the Purex Crystal bottle to store my detergent.
 It has its own little cup and pours out very easy.

I use 1 Tb. per load.

There are TONS of different recipes to try out there, this is just my favorite.
Dont know what to do with all the Borax you have left?
Check out some more homemade cleaner recipes here.


15 comments:

Handkerchiefgal said...

Great tips! Found you on Coastal charm. I've used 2 dif. recipies, one liquid (last time I did 5 gal and then thought, "oh dear, where to put it!?" but I think I like dry the best cuz it is easier to store. I have never heard of zote? What is that? And do the clothes smell when you add the purex crystals (after wash I mean?) I might try that sometime. Thanks for the post!

Mommy Minded said...

Hey there! Yes my clothes do smell with the Pyrex. It is still very mild but I like it a lot! Zote is just a laundry bar soap, you should be able to find it at any store by your laundry detergents. It looks like a big square bar of soap. I hear you on the liquid, I love the powder!

MomAlotOfChocolate said...

Hey! I was actually online today trying to find some different ways to make it!

Handkerchiefgal said...

I did it! I made your recipe, except I used dove instead of zote.
I found Fels-Naptha for the first time at a walmart outside our town...funny where you find things!
THE WHOLE LAUNDRY ROOM SMELLS GREAT! And that is just after one load! I was almost going to not buy the crystals due to cost but a customer saw me looking at them at walmart and said, "Have you tried those? They are awesome." So I got them. LOL. Power of suggestion of a stranger!
Love the idea of using the container too. Thanks!

Mommy Minded said...

I am so glad that you like it!

-Megan

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I've made detergent in the past but never this recipe. I'll have to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

Brit @ JandMs Eye Candy said...

I have been wanting to try an make my own detergent for a while, so glad I found you :) Thanks for the recipe. Going to try it. Have a great week.
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

CheletheCello said...

I like that! I might try that soon! Thanks for the recipie (if that is what you would call it... hmm). Please link up to "My Life in a Lense" at http://mylifeinalense-chelethecello.blogspot.com/ :D

The Tootsie Wootsie said...

thanks for shoing how to make soap!


come link it to my woot woot wednesday linky party!

http://tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com/2011/07/woot-woot-wednesdays-2.html

Jenn Erickson said...

I've been wanting to make my own laundry detergent and yours sounds like it works great and smells lovely too.

Chareen said...

Thanks for the link you left on my blog.

Wow that looks great.

Have never heard of purex crystals and not sure what substitute to use here in Australia.

A quick question about your food processor. How do you get ALL the soap out so you can still use if for food ?

Laurie D. said...

Just made some of this and it is wonderful! It smells so great! I used a 1/2 cup of the lavender Unstoppables as well. I also use the lavender dryer sheets. My laundry smells great for a fraction of the cost. I have been making my own liquid laundry detergent for a very long time and I use lavendin essential oil (it's cheaper thaqn the lavender) and Yardley lavender soap to grate up. My issue, as well as many others, is the room to store it. I think I found my new favorite! Thanks so much.

Modestmaiden said...

I used the sun crystals as well. I noticed that the batch as I stirred the components together had a heat reaction. I used it and the smell of the clothes for weeks afterward were great. Now here a couple weeks later I have noticed the mix still smells great, but my clothes aren't sweet smelling any more after they come out of the drier. Has any one had this problem, and does usiing oxi clean really matter apposed to the other sun brand. Thanks,

Anonymous said...

I could not find either of the soaps here in my small town. We do sell Sunlight bars in the laundry department. I used that aswell as half a cup of Oxi Clean powder. We find it works great. Even my Picky teenagers like it and are doing their own laundry. I guess it is easier for them to pour it in the lid of the purex crystal container then the scoop... :-)

Thank you from The Maritimes

Anonymous said...

Does this detergent work in HE machines?