Thursday, April 21, 2011

Superfood. Teach Me Thursday.


We have a local health food store that I LOVE to go to. Everytime I go in I get taught something new by the owner. A couple of years ago he told me about spirulina and all the great things that it does. I buy a powder mix of it everytime I go in there for my smoothies.
Today I am going to share a little info with you for "Teach Me Thursday".

Spirulina Benefits and Spirulina Facts

The popularity of spirulina stems from the fact that it contains over 100 kinds of nutrients. It is described to be the most complete food source ever - "The Superfood" as most call it.

Spirulina is a rich source of vegetable protein which is about five times higher than can be found in meat. It is also rich in a wide range of minerals, and vitamins. It is the richest source of beta carotene and vitamin B complex that most people who have vegetarian diets lack.

Adverse Effects of Spirulina

Some people have reported to experience some minor symptoms after taking spirulina. These spirulina side effects include: l Slight fever. This can be normal since the body needs to burn extra protein found in spirulina. l Slight dizziness and nausea. l Thirst and constipation. When taking spirulina, you should increase your water intake. At least half a liter should be taken for the body to absorb the spirulina herb well. l Stomach ache and other gastrointestinal symptoms l Slight body risk or skin itching.

Danger of Spirulina

Spirulina poses no dangers when taken in the recommended dosage. Taking less than 50 grams per day should be relatively safe with no notable side effects. However, as in most dietary supplements, taking exceedingly large doses can cause unwanted spirulina side effects. Because of the high nucleic acid content of spirulina, it can give you increased levels of uric acid, which can consequently cause kidney problems. Due to the high content of vitamins and minerals, impaired liver function might also occur.

 









5 comments:

Marissa said...

very cool, thanks for sharing! I've tried this stuff...long time ago!

If you wanna send me an email with your story and perhaps some pics, I'd love to feature you!
rissarose80@yahoo.com

shopannies said...

thanks for sharing very interesting post

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust said...

Gosh, I've never even heard of this. Thanks for broadening my horizon!

Warmly, Michelle

StaceyL. said...

how do you consume it? smoothie? with what else? can you taste it? thanks for peaking my interest!

Becolorful said...

Wow, I did learn something. I have never even heard of this herb. I will have to look for it but I will go cautiously. Thanks for the 411 on this super food and for sharing it at BeColorful
Pam