Sunday, September 5, 2010

Weekly Cleaning Check List


I just got my 3rd comment about cleaning routines and homemade cleaners so I thought I would just do a post about it rather than just send an email to one person at a time! :)

I did a post about basic homemade cleaners here. But you can find a TON of them online.

Obviously I clean everyday but I there are things that I only do once a week, once a month, and sometimes just once a season.

Today I will share my WEEKLY cleaning to do list. These are things that I wish I could do daily but my lifestyle as a mom and wife don't allow it. lol

I hope that this will help!

Here we go:

Windows, Picture Frames, and Glass Surfaces
(like my entertainment center doors)

I use a bottle with this recipe:

2 cups of water
½ cup white vinegar
¼ cup rubbing alcohol

The alcohol kills germs, the vinegar doesn't streak and I use old newspaper rather than paper towels because they don't leave fuzzies!

Sinks, tub, and toilets.

I clean all these things daily but I SCRUB them once a week to get to the nitty griddy and make sure that there is no soap scum or anything left behind.

I use borax and spritz it with water to make a paste. It works wonders. You can use lemon juice rather than water for a great smell.

Borax can be found at most stores with the laundry detergent. It is very inexpensive and a box will last a long time!

Another favorite thing of mine to use in this area is a Magic Eraser. If you don't care to use a lot of cleaner, Magic erasers can be used in a tub and will wipe soap scum away like no other! Just FYI, they don't kill germs :(

Also if you have a garbage disposal, you can spray
a little vinegar in it to rid yourself of any funky smells.

My Fridge

The fridge is a big thing for me. I don't like a messy fridge. Most every thing in there is going into mine or my families body so that is the last place you want any kind of funk....

I also use the glass cleaner in here. The alcohol kills germs and the vinegar kills smells. I just move everything around and wipe down all the surfaces and handles.

My Car

Because I have 3 children, 4 including the hubs. :) It is a must that I clean my car every week.

 I don't mean polish, shine, wax and all that jazz.

I vacuum and wipe EVERYTHING down with wipes.

Did you know that you can make your own germ killer wipes with a roll of paper towel (sturdy ones) and a bottle of rubbing alcohol? Cut the roll of paper towels in half, put them in a freezer bag or wipe case (anything air tight) and put the bottle of alcohol on them. They are safe and super cheap. I make these to keep in my car.

My Dishwasher

I know that the dishwasher "washes" everything but it needs some TLC too. Once a week I pour a little vinegar in with a load to wash and it wipes out any smells. I wipe all along the outside and inside edges where things can catch.

This is also good for the washer if you don't use bleach every week. I bleach my whites and that makes my washer smell fresh but vinegar in a load of clothes will do the same.

Have you ever had smelly towels? It happens. Pout a little vinegar in the wash with the normal detergents and with will do you wonders! :)

BIG FYI I don't like the smell of vinegar AT ALL. I know it sounds crazy since I just told you that I use it for just about everything. BUT I have a sharp nose and I can sniff out smells anywhere and it drives me NUTS! The vinegar smell fades overnight and is way better than any nasty smell. I love candles and things of that nature but covering smells up wont fix the problem and vinegar is the best tool I have ever found. :)

Have questions for me or a new idea? I would LOVE to hear them! Leave me a message!

I will post my monthly check list next week and my seasonal list the week after!
Photobucket

12 comments:

The Baby Store Plus said...

Hi, I discovered your blog from the Psychedelic Sundays Blog Hop, and now I am your newest follower!

Have a Super Sunday!

Anna

Kathy Thomas said...

Hi, I follow you, too! Here from the blog hop. wow love all your giveaways,
had to share on my Twitter & Facebook!

Nana Poppins said...

Just reading about all that cleaning made me tired! Luckily my kids are grown and I wipe up after the little ones leave. Major cleaning is saved for fridays so the hubby can help out too! hehe. Followed you in off the hop. Nice Blog :)

Nana

Momma of Three {Kenna} said...

I am following from The New Weekly Blog Hop over at Living Out Loud.

http://kennalarae.blogspot.com

Colie's Kitchen said...

Cute blog!! I am now a new follower!! Nicole @ colieskitchen.com Relax and Surf Sunday!!

melanie_nicholson said...

Great Blog :-)
BTW I'm coming over from Shibley Smiles Relax and Surf Sunday Hop;following you on GFC now :-)
maybe you can visit me over at
www.twoboysonegilrandacrazymom.com

Have a great Sunday Evening
Melanie

Kelly Polizzi said...

Maaan. I thought Magic Erasers on the bath tub was my brain storm!

AshandLewplus2 said...

Thank you for you Blog I look forward to finding more ways to make my life easier.
http://ashandlewplus2.com

Emy said...

I'm really curious about trying your water, vinegar and alcohol cleaner mix. My husband always wants me to go the more natural route when it comes to cleaning, so this will definitely help.

P.S.
I'm a new follower through Living Out Loud's Blog Hop.

Mystee said...

Hiya...stopping in from Meet Me Monday -- I'm not your newest follower....I'd love for you to stop by if you have the time and maybe follow back ♥ Have a great week

http://amomentwithmystee.blogspot.com/2010/09/meet-me-monday-hop.html

Alyssa said...

I use vinegar for cleaning too.

I'm a new follower!
Hope you'll visit me at She's Mommafied!

Jamarah Crafty Creations said...

Hi from your latest follower via Tuesday Blog Hop. Thanks for sharing tthese tips. I am right into using Vinegar and Bi Carb soda. I use Vinegar now in my washing instead of fabric softner. I have been told it helps clothes and keeps the machine clean. Please stop by and check out my new blog hop. Would love for you to join.
www.jamarahcraftycreations.blogspot.com