Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Super Simple Freezer Cooking Recipe

For those that are new to freezer cooking, meet your new sanity saver! I try to set aside 1 day a month to do my freezer cooking. We do not use our freezer meals everyday. I use them for when we have a chaotic evening or morning and I need something quick! I am going to gradually add our favorite "fixes". Lets start with breakfast!
Image from Google
Breakfast

My basic muffin recipe.

1 3/4 Cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, and yogurt. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in any extras that you might want. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

EXTRAS:
You can add anything to make them special.

Here are a few of the kids favorite combos:

Monkey Muffins- Add Chocolate and 1 cup smashed bananas
Blueberry- Add 1 cup fresh blueberries
Cranberry- Add 1 cup of dried cranberries
Fall muffins- I add a dash of cinnamon, dash of ginger, and some dried cranberries.

When the muffins are completely cool I add them into a freezer bag, seal it tight, and pop them into the deep freeze. You can lay them out the night before or warm them in the microwave for breakfast!

Or if you know that you have enough time in the mornings, you can put the dough into freezer bags. Be sure to allow enough time to defrost. All you have to do here is cut the bottom corner off of the freezer bag (as if you were going to use it to pipe icing) and squeeze the dough into prepared muffin cups and bake!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Purple Froggie Clay Stuff said...

Now that does look like a super simple recipe.. can't wait to try it!

Thanks for sharing it with us

tina said...

I need to start doing stuff like this... But our freezer is so tiny. I think I"ll be asking for a freezer for the garage soon ;-)

Kat said...

Hi! I'm here from Wednesday Window. These look awesome. I'm always looking for muffin recipes. Somehow most that I try come out too salty, too sweet, not sweet enough, too puffy, not puffy enough...you get the point. I'm psyched to try this one out.
ps- I also love throwing frozen berries you can buy at any grocery store into my muffins for a simple fruit filling without buying the fresh fruit (which somehow feels like a waste in a baked good).

Kat said...

Oh woops - btw Hi, I'm Kat @ http://www.livinglikethekings.com

Kimberly @ The Brown Eyes Have It said...

I love your idea of freezing the batter and just cutting off the corner to pipe it into the pan! No mess in the morning.